A tool from Security Force Monitor

Incident on 26 March 2015 [+] Print this page

Location: Bani AlHareth District, Amanat Al Asimah [+]

Country: Yemen [+]

Violation types: Aerial attack may tantamount to war crimes in accordance with the International Humanitarian Law [+]


This incident took place in Bani AlHareth District, Amanat Al Asimah, Yemen [+]


According to Mwatana for Human Rights: "Despite the statements issued by the Spokesman of the Arab Allied Forces –Brigadier General Ahmed Aseeri- that all precautionary measures were taken to avoid civilian casualties and to ensure the safety and security of all Yemenis, a sizable number of the coalition’ aerial attacks did target civilian areas and resulted in killing and injury of civilian, damage of homes, civil institutions and infrastructures. These violations may tantamount to war crimes in accordance with the International Humanitarian Law. [...] Bani Hewat area in Bani Al-Harith District which is administratively part of the capital Sana’a is the first area to witness the killing of civilians by the airstrikes of Saudi-led Arab coalition airstrikes. From among the first air strikes by the coalition fighter jets in the early dawn of 26 March 2015, a residential neighborhood in Bani Hewat was hit by one of these strikes which killed 21 civilians, including 14 children and three women and wounded eight civilians, including seven children. Hashim Al-Jermoze, a relative to 6 civilians who were killed in the attack, said that the air strike took place between 2:00 a.m. – 3:00 a.m. and as a result of the attack he lost his brother and his wife, and his sister-in-law’s mother and sister and two of his nephews and another three of his nephews were also injured. Al-Jermoze told Mwatana that members of his brother’s family remained under the rubble for two hours. He added: “The dead and injured were rushed to Al-Thawra, Kuwait, and Saudi-German hospitals in the city. Six people from my family died and 3 of my nephews were wounded and now they are living with me.” A child who was among the injured in the attack describes the moment when the bomb exploded saying “I heard the explosion and I thought that the rain was falling and that lightning had destroyed our house. Then the rocks of our house fell over my head. The next thing I knew I was inside the hospital.” Yasser Al-Habashi, 35 years old, a survivor and father of three children who died in the attack and a fourth who was wounded, recounts how he went into a 13-day coma due to injury from the attack: “I went back to my house between the hours of 12:00 a.m. – 1:00 a.m. I arrived home and slept. I did not know what happened to me and I was not conscious of anything until after 13 days of the incident when I started asking about my kids, wife, and neighbors. No one told me what happened to my children until about 25 days after the attack. I lost three of them, Ammar 17, Alaa 14, and Aisha 11 years old. My wife, my son and I were severely injured to the point I lost memory for a while and I was in a coma and I did not know what was going on around me or what happened to my family. In addition to my son’s severe injury, he frequently has moments of memory loss and extreme fear and bouts of nervous tension.” Al Habashi adds: “One of my sons survived because he insisted on sleeping over at one of our relatives in another place. It was the mercy and kindness of God on him and us. We sold everything we owned after the incident. I used to have a grocery store in the neighborhood, and because of the explosion, there is nothing left in it. There is nothing left of my house that I lived in, and on top of all this three of my children were killed.” In this attack the 14-year-old Osama Suleiman and his younger sister survived, but the rest of their family members were killed. They were seven, the father, the mother, four of his sisters, and a younger brother. Osama told Mwatana that he was not aware of anything after the first bomb exploded, only after he woke up he realized that he was thrown outside the house by the force of the blast. Osama continues: “When I woke up from the shock, there was a man wearing yellow clothes, belonging to the civil defense I believe. I asked him what had happened, and he answered that nothing happened. I was first transferred to Al-Rawdah hospital without knowing anything about what had happened to my family and that my parents, brothers, and sisters died. I was told about their death by my cousin. He said to me, did you know that your mother and father and your sisters Thikra, Asmaa, Samia, and Somaya and your brother Mohammed are all dead. I kept crying continuously until I felt my insides exploding from my grief for my family. I never imagined that my parents and sisters would die. I met my younger sister in Al-Thawra hospital after being transferred from AlRawdah hospital. She was hospitalized there. Now my sister Ibtisam and I live with our big sister Paris.”" [+]

Perpetrator units

Name Other Names Classification
Operation Decisive Storm [+] Firmness Storm
Operation Storm of Resolve
Resolve Storm
operation Asifat al-Hazm
Air Force [+]
Army [+]
Joint Operation [+]
Military [+]
Navy [+]


List of all sources used to evidence the data in this record Click the "+" symbol next to every data point in the record to see the sources used for that data point.

Publication Date Publisher Publication Title Access Date Archive Link
15 December 2015 Mwatana for Human Rights Blind Air Strikes 09 October 2019