Location: threestory building in the middle of the Shagia market, Zabid District, Al Hudaydah Governorate [+]
Country: Yemen [+]
Violation types: Unlawful Airstrike [+]
This incident took place in threestory building in the middle of the Shagia market, Zabid District, Al Hudaydah Governorate, Yemen [+]
According to Human Rights Watch: "Cases of Unlawful Airstrikes [...] At about 4:15 p.m. on May 12, aircraft dropped at least five bombs on the Houthi-controlled town of Zabid, 96 kilometers (0.6 miles) south of the western port city of Hodaida, killing at least 60 civilians, including 13 women and eight children, and wounding at least 155. Human Rights Watch examined the site on July 26. Three of the bombs had struck a threestory building in the middle of the Shagia market. The first bomb struck a sweets shop in the building. The second strike, which witnesses said took place about five minutes later, hit a restaurant on the building’s ground floor. The third struck the building’s second floor, causing the structure to collapse. The force of the blasts also destroyed two other buildings housing another restaurant and four grocery stores. Abdu Ahmed Thayfi, 36, a qat seller at the Shagia market,was injured in the second strike: I heard the first strike, and then a few minutes later, the second. I felt as if everything was spinning around me, and then it went black. I woke up and saw the muscle of my left leg torn open. My right leg bone was snapped in half. My brother Muhammad suddenly appeared and wanted to take me to the hospital, but I refused to go, because I knew they would want to amputate my leg. Thayfi ended up having a bone transplant in his left leg and avoided an amputation. Abdullah Amin al-Dhabi, 34, a local freelance editor, told Human Rights Watch that after hearing the explosion, he rushed to the market to find his cousin, a qat seller there: I saw at least 50 limbs ripped apart from the fragments of the explosion. I also saw other bodies of people I could recognize in front of the Shagia restaurant. There I saw my cousin, next to the bodies of three other people I knew: two of them were kids under the age of 12, another was a woman who used to sell bread by the door of the restaurant. Days later, we heard that neighbors were still finding the hands and heads of other victims on their roofs and their shops. The whole area stank. Dr. Faisal Awad, chairman of the Zabid Relief Society, which led efforts to identify the dead, told Human Rights Watch that the authorities gathered 66 unidentified body parts from the marketplace. At the same time as the strikes hit Shagia market, two bombs fell on a lemon grove about 600 meters (656 yards) from the market, and about 50 meters (54 yards) from the entrance to the home of Ahmed Bagesh, the owner of one of the restaurants destroyed in the market attack, killing nine civilians, including two women and four children. Three witnesses said that one of the two bombs did not explode, and that Houthi fighters came soon after the incident and removed the munition. Bagesh told Human Rights Watch: Just as I heard the strikes on the marketplace, there were also two strikes right outside our doorway. My sister’s husband had just left our house—he had been over for a visit—and when I ran out, I found the top half of his body lying on the path by the door. The bottom half had been blown about 10 meters away. Thabit Hamdain, 55, a qat seller at the Shagia market, told Human Rights Watch that a large public-sector textile factory about one kilometer (0.6 miles) from the market had been producing military uniforms for the Houthis, and said he suspected this was the target of the airstrike. The factory was unaffected by the airstrikes and had not been subsequently targeted by the time Human Rights Watch visited Zabid on July 26. Hamdain noted that the day before the airstrike he recognized three mid-level Houthi commanders eating lunch in one of the restaurants in the market. 80 Bagash, the restaurant owner, said that Houthi fighters often came to the market to buy qat and to eat at the restaurants, but they did not “hang around.”He also said there were no Houthi checkpoints near the market. The presence of small numbers of Houthi military personnel at the market would not make the entire market a legitimate target for a bombing attack. A factory producing uniforms or others goods for the military would be a valid military target, but the workers inside would not be considered civilians directly participating in the hostilities. The coalition should conduct an investigation to determine whether the attack was unlawfully indiscriminate, whether an attack on the factory during working hours was disproportionate, and whether all feasible precautions had been taken to minimize civilian casualties." [+]
Name | Other Names | Classification |
---|---|---|
Operation Restoring Hope [+] |
Arab Coalition
Arab Coalition Forces Arab Coalition to restore legitimacy in Yemen Gulf Arab coalition Hope Restoration Operation Joint Forces Operation Renewal of Hope Operation Storm of Resolve Saudi-led Arab Coalition Saudi-led Coalition coalition forces operations Renewal of Hope |
Air Force
[+]
Army [+] Joint Operation [+] Military [+] Navy [+] |
Publication Date | Publisher | Publication Title | Access Date | Archive Link |
---|---|---|---|---|
26 November 2015 | Human Rights Watch | “What Military Target Was in My Brother’s House”: Unlawful Coalition Airstrikes in Yemen | 27 January 2021 |